Show menu
Bill Newbold finds sandalwood at Abrolhos Islands.
Pages 1 2 3 4

The Venus then headed for Geraldton to get lifeboats and rocket apparatus. It arrived in Geraldton at 2330 hours and reported the shipwreck of the Windsor as being a total wreck, the deck cargo had been lost and the vessel was doomed.

At sunset Captain Walters, of the S. S. Windsor advised the remaining men to go aft, saying that he thought it was safest. Knowing the Windsor had broken her back, the crew decided that the forward part was more firmly embedded on the reef, they stayed forward overnight. The Captain and the first mate stayed in the saloon.

Upon coming to the deck the following morning, the crew found that all the after-part of the vessel up to the foremast had broken up and washed unto the reef. The Captain and first mate were not to be seen.

The Venus left for the islands Wednesday morning at 0330 hours with Pilot Gilmore, Constable Heritage, and six fishermen on board, towing the Geraldton lifeboat for rescue purposes. Mr Partridge, a part owner of Fallowfield & Co was also on board.

The steamer Penguin left Fremantle on Wednesday 5th to assist in the rescue. It was so rough, they had to go to Geraldton first arriving at 2100 hours on Thursday 6th. Shortly afterwards the Uraidla arrived in Geraldton. The cargo was insured for 25,000 pounds ( A$50,000 ) and the marine underwriters engaged the S.S. Uraidla the tugboat, for salvage operations out of Fremantle.

At 1100 hours the Venus arrived at the Windsor. Throughout that day, all from the Venus tried rescue attempts but the seas were too rough to get close. After consultation with Pilot Gilmore and Captain Davis they decided to head back to Geraldton to get the rocket apparatus. They were met on the way back by the fishing vessel Wanda that said the Penguin was on its way. The Wanda with the master stevedore, Mr E. H. Brede on board was assisting with the rescue.

By 1700 hours Thursday afternoon the Windsor was really starting to go to pieces and the remaining crew started jumping over board with planks and tried to swim to the reef where others were standing in waist deep surf to aid them. It is said the spray from the waves on the reef was rising up 100 feet into the air.

All night they remained on the reef and early on the Friday morning they were conveyed to the island.

When the Penguin arrived on Friday morning it was not known the rescue had been effected and they concluded that all had been washed away. About 150 ton of sandalwood and portions of the steamer were strewn on the reef.

The Penguin caught up with the others at Mangrove Island and the survivors were transferred to her and taken back to Geraldton.

Due to Australia’s “White Australia Policy” the 27 Chinese crew were held on the Penguin, anchored out of the Geraldton harbour, until the Sultan could pick them up on Monday 10th and take them to Singapore.

^ back to top 
next page >>